I always thought of myself as a creative person, but never crafty. My version of a scrapbook was glossy rectangle photos glued on white paper shoved in clear paper sleeves inside a binder. Then one day Pinterest was created, hallelujah! I was able to see all of the amazing crafts and projects people across the country were making with step-by-step instructions. Pinterest plus planning a wedding and having a baby helped me to overcome my fear of DIYing.
Here are my tips on overcoming your fear.
- Pick a project that only takes a few steps and requires minimal materials.
- Ex. – Spray painting paper mache letters – Only 2 items needed (Spray paint & paper mache letters)
- I’ve become extremely overwhelmed when a DIY project requires numerous materials, so start simple.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO MAKE MISTAKES
- It’s ok if you mess up a project, everyone does it
- Pick a project that’s not super expensive, so if you mess up, you won’t be have wasted a lot of money.
PICK A PROJECT YOU LOVE
- DIYing is extremely fun and gratifying if you create something that will bring you joy. Creating my son’s mobile was tedious, but I loved hanging it in his nursery before he was born envisioning him staring at it. Watching him look at it now brings me great joy, and I’m so glad I took the time to create it by hand.
- Special occasion cards, Christmas gifts, home décor, baby clothes – just a few DIY items that can bring so much joy
JUST DO IT
- Stop watching and start doing
- For the longest time I said, “I would love to learn how to reupholster. I wish I had enough money and time to take a legitimate course.” I started to sound like a broken record, so one day I had enough. I decided to buy a reupholstery book, study, and start small. I’m not finished with my project, but I can say I overcame my fear of reupholstery. I have a long way to go, and lots more learn but I overcome the biggest hump.
Anyone can DIY. ANYONE! Maybe you already DIY, but want to try out bigger projects. Quilting? Woodworking? Re-upholstery? My advice would be to research, watch a million you tube videos, and find a buddy who can give some advice if your lucky enough to have one. I started out very small and now I feel like I can do most DIY projects if I really want to and have the time and desire to do it.
I hope you can find a project that you enjoy, brings you satisfaction and saves money! Saving money is always a plus. Check out more of my DIY projects on my blog here! Find my inspiration boards on Pinterest here as well as Austin Moms Blog’s board.