Ready to get the heck outta dodge? Whether your weekend is two days or stretched to four, Texas has a plethora of getaway worthy spots. Here are fifty that we love and just a little bit about them. For the full story on any of these spots, you’ll have to scout it out first hand.
Houston & Southeast Texas
- Clear Lake/Seabrook/Kemah – Space Center Houston, Pine Gulley and Clear Lake parks, waterfront dining and a few carnival-type rides on the Boardwalk. Good for everyone.
- Downtown Houston – the Galleria, a thriving arts district and several pro sports teams. Ignore the humidity and visit H-Town. Good for everyone.
- Galveston – beaches, Moody Gardens, the Strand. In December, you can see Dickens on the Strand too! Good for everyone.
- San Luis Resort – a different, more grown up luxurious way to see Galveston. Good for adults.
- The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa – Fancy schmancy Houston. Good for adults.
- San Jacinto monument – South of Houston, take in the site of Texas Independence. Good for kids.
- Brenham – ice cream! And less than two hours from both Houston and Austin so a great mid-way stop for traveling between the two. Good for kids.
- College Station – if you are into the Aggie thing 😉 Good for everyone (who doesn’t bleed burnt orange).
- The Retreat at Artesian Lakes – just outside of the Texas Big Thicket National Preserve, you’ll get back to nature and enjoy log-cabin living. Good for everyone.
DFW & Northeast Texas
- Great Wolf Lodge – indoor waterpark, arcade, spa all just north of Dallas. Good for everyone.
- Fort Worth – museums, the Stockyards and minutes from more. Good for adults.
- Downtown Dallas – museums, food, spas, the zoo. Check out the new Klyde Warren Park for events including free yoga and Pilates classes! Good for everyone.
- Rosewood Cresent Spa & Resort – full on Dallas luxury, even endorsed by Gwyneth Paltrow. Good for adults, especially a girls’ getaway (take me!).
- Arlington – Sports, sports and more sports! Good for school-age kids or a guys’ trip.
- Wichita Falls – Museum of North Texas plus tons of wildlife spotting opps. Good for everyone.
- Gaylord Texan – Everything you could ever need under one roof and a spectacular holiday setup. Good for everyone.
- Lake Texoma – fishing, boating, sunbathing, relaxing. Good for everyone.
- Jefferson – east of Dallas, a quaint cozy town chock full of B&Bs. Also enjoy antiquing and live theatre performances. Good for adults.
- Lubbock – play a round at The Rawls at Texas Tech and grab a game. Good for everyone.
San Antonio & South Texas
- San Antonio – Alamo, zoo, Spurs, Tex-Mex, margaritas and the Riverwalk. Good for everyone!
- La Cantera Hill Country Resort – spa and golf. Good for adults.
- Port Aransas – Beaches, beach houses and more beaches. Good for everyone, best for adults.
- South Padre Island – Beaches, booze and more beaches. Good for adults.
- North Padre Island – Beaches, Mustang Island State Park and quick access to the Texas State Aquarium. Good for families.
- Corpus Christi – Visit the beach, see the USS Lexington and explore the Texas State Aquarium. Good for everyone.
- Rockport – the theme of south Texas: beach. A lazy fishing town, perfect for quiet coastal time. Best for adults.
- SoCo – right in your backyard is a fun, easy grownup getaway packed with trendy everything. Good for adults.
- Lost Pines Resort & Spa – spa, lazy river, golf, horseback riding. Good for everyone.
- Horseshoe Bay Resort & Spa – spa, pools, golf, lakeviews. Good for adults.
- Lakeway Spa & Resort – spa, golf, kid zone. Good for everyone.
- Salado – Seasonal festivals including the Chocolate & Wine Fest and the Christmas Stroll. Good for everyone.
- San Marcos – catch a Texas State game and shop til you drop at the outlet mall. Good for everyone.
- Fredericksburg – wine, antiques, German food, breweries, hill country views. Good for couples.
- Enchanted Rock State Park – hike in the Hill Country. Good for everyone.
- Sinya at Lone Man Creek – feels so far, but really so close. Check out this Wimberly “glamping” (glamour camping” destination. Good for couples.
- Jellystone Park – Camping, playgrounds, water park. Good for kids.
- Lake Austin Spa – Rest and relaxation on the lake. Good for girlfriends.
- Gruene – Beer, live music and dancing. Good for adults.
- Monument Hill & Kreische Brewery – brewery tour, camping and in December, a trail of lights. Good for everyone.
- New Braunfels – float the river and relax. Good for everyone.
- Walburg – Maybe not a full weekend away, but definitely a night out for tasty German food, drinking and dancing. Good for everyone (but leave the drinking to the adults).
- Marble Falls – Texas White House, all things LBJ and a lake. Good for adults.
- Palo Duro Canyon – hiking and sightseeing. Good for everyone.
- Big Bend – camping, hiking, sightseeing. Good for everyone.
- Lajitas – Golf, zip lining, horseback riding, spa. Near enough to visit Big Bend but no camping required. Good for everyone
- Marfa – the lights! Good for adults.
- Fort Davis Mountains – hiking and slow easy living at the Davis Mountains State Park. Access to the McDonald Observatory. Good for everyone.
- El Paso – eat, drink, hike, see (museums). Good for everyone.
- San Angelo – visit Fort Concho, explore the picturesque downtown and hang out on the river. Good for everyone.
- Balmorhea State Park – swim or scuba in the world’s largest spring-fed swimming pool. Good for everyone.