Breastmilk. Every Ounce Counts.
I’m a proud breastfeeding mama to 3 once little humans, but now this image is a super distant memory. One thing I know for sure about breastfeeding is that it is incredibly hard. Fortunately I never experienced things like mastitis, but I did have some ridiculously painful experiences. From bloody and cracked nipples to lactation consultant appointments and my sister vigorously taking down notes, breastfeeding was no easy feat. But today is about breastmilk so… we are going to focus on the resources and facts you need to know to make it hopefully longer than I did!
Check out all of the benefits of breastfeeding in this short video!
- Visit BreastmilkCounts.com for more information
- For breastfeeding help, call 855-550-MOMS. It’s a 24-hour hotline, English and Spanish, and is ready for your call!
- Visit our lactation directory for help near you
WIC is the #1 resource in breastfeeding.
- True Answers. True Relief. WIC is your one-stop breastfeeding resource.
- Breastfeeding isn’t always easy and your local WIC clinic can help. WIC’s breastfeeding experts help Texas mothers breastfeed successfully with lactation consultants, classes, peer counselors, and a statewide hotline.
- To locate a WIC clinic near you or to find out if you are eligible call 800-942-3678
Breastfeeding Benefits Baby & Mom
- Breastmilk provides health benefits for baby and mom that last a lifetime.
- Breastfeeding is good for moms. It lowers mom’s risk of breast and ovarian cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. It also burns up to 600 calories a day!
- Breastmilk has hundreds more ingredients than formula that help baby grow and protect him from illness. Mom’s milk also changes over time to meet baby’s needs.
- Breastmilk makes your baby less likely to have digestive problems, such as gassiness, constipation, and colic.
- Breastfed babies are healthier and get sick less often.
- Breastmilk is human milk for human babies. It is custom-made by each mom and changes over time to meet baby’s needs.
The benefits of breastfeeding extend over time. Every ounce counts. Breastfeed your baby for as long as you can.
Breastfeeding in Public is Protected by the Law and is 100% okay.
- Be confident. Baby should eat whenever he gets hungry no matter where mom is.
- Breastfeeding is for anytime, anyplace. Although the idea of sharing these moments in public may cause anxiety, moms should know that it is their legal right to breastfeed anywhere they are allowed to be.
- Breastfeeding in public can be done with confidence—most moms are already nursing in public and going completely unnoticed.