Guide To Georgetown, Texas
Looking for an awesome day trip or weekend getaway? Then I’d like to introduce you to Georgetown, Texas.
My Second Home
When my husband and I moved to Round Rock about four years ago, I was searching for a place to join in on some community theater and I happened upon an awesome spot in Georgetown, Texas. As I was making the drive up on a beautiful fall day, I was hit with nostalgia. The winding back road I drove made me feel like I was back in the Midwest on a fall day with all of the leaves changing colors.
Driving into the Georgetown town square did not disappoint either as it too looked straight out of some small town movie set. I instantly felt at home and knew my husband (an Ohio boy) would also love everything Georgetown had to offer. There is so much I love about Georgetown that it is hard to cover it all in a single blog post. So I have narrowed it down to my ten favorite things to do in Georgetown.
Ten Amazing Things to do in Georgetown:
- Catch a show: Since my love of Georgetown started with theater, it is only appropriate that the first thing on my list be theater. The Georgetown Palace Theater offers quality shows at a great price that run throughout the year. They also offer training programs for kids and teens as well as adults.
I would also like to take this time to introduce a new production company that I have had the pleasure of working with recently called Lighthouse Theater. They are an up and coming group with a bright future ahead of them.
- Make a craft: I like a good craft every once in a while and Georgetown has a cool craft spot right in the square. Sip N Stain is everything I hoped it would be and I got some cool decorative signs in the process.
- Shop: So. Many. Boutique. Stores. Right. In. The. Square. Just park your car somewhere in the square and walk into all of the stores. ALL OF THEM!!!
- Be a farmer for a day: My family loves to visit Sweet Eats Fruit Farm. We can pick our own produce and pet animals until our heart’s content.
- Eat: The Square is chock-full of great food options. From a little bit of fancier dining (Wildfire) to boutique cupcakes (Galaxy Bakery), burgers (Burger University), excellent pizza (600 Degrees), amazing Cajun (Gumbo’s) and more, there is something for everyone in the Georgetown square.
- Drink: There are two wine tasting room options in the square as well as several beer spots. The best part is, you can walk with your drink all around the square. Oh and you must check out Rentsch Brewery and the Wine and Music festival!
- Catch some live music: There is usually live music somewhere on the square on any given day. Roots often has someone up on their stage, and there is always live music in the square on Fridays in the summer.
- Go to a park: Check out the amazing new Garey Park or go swimming at Blue Hole Park along the San Gabriel River. There are also plenty of amazing trails to check out.
- The Red Poppy Festival: The annual Red Poppy Festival is one of my favorite things about spring. I don’t think I’ve missed it since we’ve lived in the area and I hope I never do. It kicks off with a parade, and continues through a whole weekend of music, food, drinks, and shopping.
- Christmas on the Square: The holiday season in Georgetown is one of the best. The entire Georgetown Square is lit up with lights every night starting right after Thanksgiving. Plus they have a most excellent Christmas Stroll event with general merriment in the air.