Guide To Shopping With your Conscience in Austin
We’ve all heard of shopping local, but what about shopping with your conscience? What I mean by that is choosing specific companies or brands based on the good they do for the local community. I must admit, this is a new concept for me. As a busy mom, I feel like I already have enough to think about, but what if you knew that some of the places you frequent also do a lot of philanthropic work? It’s a win, win right?!
Here is a list of some big local names and the charitable work they do:
- Alamo Drafthouse. This locally based movie chain now has over 25 locations, and even though they have grown, they are still committed to giving back to the community. Year to date, the Alamo Drafthouse has donated almost a half a million dollars to over 50 non-profit partners and has participated in 25 community events. One of their most noted efforts this year was a raising $50,000 for KLRU through screenings of “Won’t you Be my Neighbor,” the Mr. Rogers documentary. Now I would call that being a good neighbor.
- Snap Kitchen. This local chain of healthy prepared meals partners with Keep Austin Fed to distribute meals to people in need in our community. Not only does this keep food out of landfills, but it also helps feed people right here in our community.
- Consuela Bags. This vibrant and funky fashion brand has a big heart too. They spread joy throughout the community with their “It’s Not About the Bag Program.” Each month, Consuela chooses a local deserving woman and showers her with gifts and recognition. If you would like to nominate someone please do.
- H-E-B. This Texas based grocery store has been serving people in our state since 1905. It’s almost impossible to list all the ways that H-E-B gives back to the community. They donate over 10 million dollars annually to Texas education. They also host annual Feast of Sharing Holiday meals and play an important role in disaster relief efforts. We tip our hats to you H-E-B!
- Amy’s Ice Cream. Amy’s has been serving the Austin community for 34 years. Instead of spending money on traditional advertising, Amy’s donates money to local non-profits, children’s health organizations and educational groups. They also offer ice cream socials for sick children. What else has the ability to put a smile on a child’s face like some tasty ice cream?!
- Kendra Scott. We all know this brand for their amazing jewelry, but do you know about the amazing good they do for our community? Kendra Scott has done more than 10,000 fundraising and awareness events and donated over $4.5 million dollars annually. They partner with local non-profits such as the Flatwater Foundation and national organizations like the Children’s Miracle Network . They donate jewelry to breast cancer survivors and are just an all around awesome company. I’ll gladly pick out some new earrings if I know that my purchase is helping those in need!
We know this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to philanthropic local companies. If you know of a company that gives back to our community and you would like them to be featured on Austin Moms Blog, please comment below!