I wish I could tell you that I have helpful tips but All you need is help and nothing but HELP! However, I have compiled a list if you want to feel like your head is above water. This is not the season of life to be “put together” because two tiny humans are depending on you. A few random suggestions – Don’t be afraid to buy gently used during this time. Get to know how to shower in under 5 minutes. Empty your freezer and restock with dinners that you will eat after a typical night of being awakened 11 times! If you are right-handed practice using your left hand (you’ll thank me later) to do everything. Label products in your bathroom so that when you are sleep deprived the shampoo doesn’t get used as a face wash (yes that really happened) Now here is the real list that will help you navigate this new Twin Mom Life!
Self-care is at the top of the list because your patience will be stretched so far that you will crave some ME time!
It is important to reduce stress from all of the Mom duties that surround you. I recommend doing something that promotes peace & quiet like a long walk on a nature trail, enjoying warm tea on a patio with a view, a relaxing massage, watch a movie alone, or of course exercise.
- You will need a Twin Z pillow, a pack n play, a swing, an activity center
- Two separate notebooks is a good idea to keep track of who ate, how much, and when
- Establish a routine early on
- You don’t need two of everything except for these: highchairs, and a regular stroller plus a jogging stroller
- Make a friend with a Grandma
- Get outside for sunshine as much as possible
- Document everything because it will be hard to remember later which baby got their first tooth, or said their first word
- Overnight Nanny – This is a touchy subject because at the time we just couldn’t afford one (although I thought I needed one). But now looking back I am glad that I was able to experience waking up in the middle of the night to care for my twins’ all by myself. It has made me a better Mom because of it.
- Reach out to any and every twin Mom that you can because they are part of your sisterhood now
- Car rides are your “best friend” with irritable infants
- Play music in the house during the “witching hour” aka Purple Crying. This stage caught me by surprise! Why hasn’t anyone ever warned me of this awful phase at around 3 months old? My twins were fussy every night from 5-8 pm for about 6 weeks! After You’ve fed, burped, changed diapers, had bath-time, and an outfit change and still the non-stop CRYING! Having music on throughout our house was the only remedy.
- Don’t fall for the trendy baby items. Five years ago I didn’t feel like I needed a Mama Roo because honestly what I needed was another Mama! I think these days Moms are dropping some cash on something called a Snoo?! You would be surprised at how many women will stop by to help you hold a baby! Everyone will offer so take them up on it!
- Matching outfits is “Your Call”
I wish I could tell you that the long days and nights will be easy (but I will tell you honestly it goes by faster than you think) So if you are preparing for this chapter, are in the thick of it, or if you are looking back at the first years (like I am) just know that YOU were carefully picked to be a Twin Mom. Here’s a poem you may enjoy.
By Wendy Silva
You were bonded together in the
Heavens before you came to earth.
You heard each others heart begin to
Beat and you shared your day of birth.
If one of you began to cry the other
Joined in. To show how much they cared.
You began learning about your differences
And about interests that you shared.
You have doubled a Mother’s love in so
Many ways and in all the things you do.
I am truly grateful to have received such
A Special Gift. For I was Blessed with two.