I have vivid memories of summer days, filled with fresh fruit and veggies and anything my family could throw on the grill.
I don’t have a lot of memories of summertime breakfasts — partly because, growing up where we didn’t have AC, we avoided cooking anything inside during the summer if at all possible.
Even though, living in Austin, TX now, we definitely have AC, I will still avoid cooking if I can on these hot summer days! So my best summer breakfast ideas mostly involve not actually cooking.
- (Cold) Breakfast Bowl
These are one of my favorite go-to breakfasts year-round, but they are especially perfect during the summer. Take your favorite kind of yogurt — mine right now is plain full fat greek yogurt. Add some honey, if desired. Then add your favorite fruit — we have frozen berries that I usually toss in, but I’ve also done pineapple, peaches, apples, or strawberries. I’ll add chia and flax when I have it. If you have a cereal or granola, throw some on top for an extra crunch! I’ve also thrown in some coconut flakes when I have them!
- Egg bake
If I have to cook, I prefer to do it ahead of time for an easy morning. So my other favorite recipe for summer breakfast is an egg bake. For my husband and myself, the following recipe makes breakfast for 3 mornings for the both of us.
- 12 eggs – scrambled with seasoning, I use Mrs. Dash garlic seasoning
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped into small pieces. I’ve used regular bacon or turkey bacon!
- Bag of frozen veggies – this is where you can get creative! I’ve used regular mixed veggies with corn, carrots, lima beans & green beans; fajita veggies with peppers and onions; and stir fry veggies; and I’ve added in potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 30-45 min, until edges are browned
- When it’s time to eat – heat in microwave or on stove, add cheese and salsa as desired!
- Banana Pancakes
These are my favorite light and protein-packed breakfast. They do involve cooking, but they cook quickly because they’re thinner than regular pancakes. I’ve also made a bunch ahead of time and taken them out of the fridge as needed. The following recipe makes approximately 10-12 palm-sized pancakes:
- 4 eggs
- 2 bananas
- 2-3 tablespoons of oatmeal
- 1 tsp vanilla
Combine in a blender and cook on a griddle or pan. Add your favorite nut butter, and I always top with some frozen berries, while my husband adds honey or syrup.
- Overnight Oats
What could be simpler than throwing some oats in a jar (or whatever container you have) and putting in the fridge overnight? These can be enjoyed cold (I love this especially during the summer) or, if you’d rather, you can throw them in the microwave for a minute or so for a warm treat.
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup of oats (I prefer steel cut)
- 1/2 cup water or milk of choice
- 1 serving protein powder of choice (if desired)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1/2 cup fruit (I like throwing in the same frozen mixed berries I mentioned above)
There you have it, 4 simple breakfast ideas for your summer mornings!