Our job as a mom can be so daunting and tiring. Sometimes all we want is a day off and we often fantasize about what we could do with a whole day off from mom duty. I was recently lucky enough to have a full day off from mom and wife duty when my husband took our son to his family’s house in Ohio. I couldn’t join them when they initially left because I was in a theater production in Georgetown. When my show wrapped up…
I opted to stay a whole day by myself with no obligations whatsoever.
I didn’t know what I would do. I felt like all of the Austin area was my oyster! Maybe I would go see a movie, or go on a nice long run, or take myself to dinner, or get ice cream, or go stand up paddle boarding. There were so many options! So what did I actually do? Well, I did do some chores, but I also had a fantabulous day taking care of myself. The following is a timeline of my amazing day which I have dubbed my Once-a-year day.
- Woke up singing Once-A-Year Day from the musical The Pajama Game
- Gleefully had this song stuck in my head for the rest of the day
- Let dogs out
- brushed teeth and washed my face
- Facetimed with my husband and son
- emptied the dishwasher
- made coffee (didn’t drink it yet)
- Folded laundry and hung up my child’s clothing, threw a load into the washer
- made the bed (without a toddler jumping on it and messing it up!)
- decided to make an over-easy egg breakfast
- Decided to pick up toys before I made breakfast so I could bask in the glory of a clean house
- Went ahead and vacuumed the floors as well so it would really be cleaner
- texted dog sitter to set up a time to meet and give him the house key
- got to go to the bathroom BY MYSELF and even left the door open BECAUSE I COULD
- finally started to take the egg breakfast ingredients out of the fridge
- got lazy and just poured a bowl of cereal
- Dog sitter came to the house and I went over the whole shebang and expectations.
- Dog sitter left
- I finally remembered I had coffee to drink. It was delicious.
- Basked in the glory of a nice clean house knowing that it wouldn’t get messy unless I made it messy
- started a chick flick on Netflix
- Went to Woodhouse Day Spa to finally use the gift certificate my husband gave me for Mother’s Day. Bonus: he even called and scheduled my appointments for me.
1:35 p.m.- 5:30 p.m.
- Spent the day in a plush robe drinking mimosas and listening to Enya type music.
- Got a 50 minute deep tissue massage, followed by a Lavender foot scrub and pedicure and finished with a Hydra facial which is a really cool facial where they suck yucky things out of your face and rehydrate it.
- Spent the time between my services texting with my best friends, taking selfies to add to show off to my mom and sister, and lounging on a chaise drinking and snacking. It was heavenly.
- Came home and prepared myself for an audition I had later in the evening.
- Rocked my audition
7:30-around 2:30 a.m. the next morning…
- Got and ate dinner from Arby’s
- came home and finished watching the chick flick I had started earlier
- watched The Bachelorette and drank peach wine
- ate some nachos with cheese that I threw together
- played piano and sang at the top of my lungs
- took a bubble bath and finally used that bath bomb my mom had sent my for Mother’s Day
- talked to one of my besties on the phone for over 2 hours
- brushed my teeth
- Thought about packing my suitcase for my trip but decided I would do it in the morning before I left for the airport
- relaxed into bed with my dog cuddled up next to me
- Decided I need this kind of Once-a-year day every year.