We all know toilet paper is important and hand-washing is a must. But those will only get you so far.
What about fueling our immune systems?
Pictures of empty store shelves are being shared all over social media and it is important to consider stocking up on healthy, immune boosting foods as much as needing those other household necessities. As I gather my list, I want to share my priority items for my family especially during a health crisis.
Next time you venture out or opt for delivery add these to your cart:
- Echinacea – this immune boosting powerhouse helps knock out respiratory infections and help prevent the common cold
Elderberry – this gem has a been the popular kid in school lately and for good reason, these berries have been used as medicine for thousands of years – even Hippocrates the “father of medicine” considered this to be a key aspect in boosting the immune system, it fights colds, flu, allergies and inflammation.
- Colloidal Silver – in ancient times silver stopped the spread of disease, since it is antimicrobial it helps significantly inhibit growth of bacteria. When used properly, this can be a powerful immune booster.
- Probiotics – finding a good quality probiotic is key for immune support. Leaky gut is a major contributor to a weakened immune system. Probiotics can also be found in fermented foods like pickles, kombucha and sauerkraut.
- Ginger – has been boosting the immune system for centuries. Ginger helps break down the accumulation of toxins in our bodies and cleanses the lymphatic system which rids the body of toxins.
- Ginseng – boosts the immune system and fights infections by helping resist the body for infectious diseases. The antimicrobial compounds help defend the body against bacterial and viral infections.
- Vitamin D – a vitamin d deficiency is a lowers immune system and puts people at an increased risk for infection. This is why sunshine is so important (5-30 minutes at least 2x a week) along with eating pasture raised eggs, wild caught salmon, cod liver oil and milk.
- Oregano – with its antiviral, anti-fungal, antibacterial, anti-parasite properties this beast truly boosts the immune system. Add to your meals or even find a good quality essential oil to use safely.
Chicken Soup – it’s not nicknamed penicillin for nothing. This anti-inflammatory guru helps ease and support the upper respiratory system as well.
- Turmeric – powerful anti-inflammatory. Add in your smoothies, soups and as a spice on meats and veggies.
- Vitamin C – red/yellow/orange flesh peppers, tomatoes, spinach, oranges and even good quality supplements can help in boosting the immune system to fight infectious diseases.
- Water – lots of fluids help flush the toxins out of the system and it loosens trapped mucus.
- Antioxidants – blueberries, cherries, pomegranate, apples, dark chocolate all help protect the immune system.
- Broccoli – help boost immunity along with other cruciferous veggies like kale with sulforaphane, helps fight free radicals.
- Olive Oil – finding a good quality can help reduce inflammation and fight off infection.
Garlic – studies show that consumption of this dynamic flavor booster not only makes things taste delicious but it helps protect the system from getting sick.
- Rosemary – also not just a tasty herb in focaccia bread it is an amazing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich
- Cinnamon – with its antimicrobial properties cinnamon fights off viral, bacterial and fungal elements in foods. It is also anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich.
- Bone Broth – along with probiotics bone broth helps heal the leaky gut which is directly correlated to our immune system’s strength. Another reason why soups are such a great idea when not feeling well. The collagen helps nourish our bodies and fight off disease.
- Raw Honey – this soothing remedy not only helps your throat it is antibacterial which helps kill germs in the body before sick or when sick.
- Mushrooms – these guys are epically amazing, they are anti-inflammatory and immune boosting helping protect the body against major crud.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – boosts gut health as well as fighting fungus and relieves cold symptoms, detoxes the body along with a plethora of other beneficial uses.
So as uncertain as times may be right now, do not forget how important it is to take care of ourselves, to fuel our systems with goodness and to encourage one another.
Stay safe friends!
Please share your favorite immune boosting recipes in our comments!
Photography: Jessica Rockowitz Photography + Film