It’s so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of daily life. So many changes are happening outside of the home and those changes can affect what happens in the home. And not to mention, the holidays are upon us. We all acknowledge that there are things we just cannot control. Although we would love to be able to control the energy behind the political climate, the existence of COVID, and even this weather rollercoaster, we just can’t. However, what we can control is how we approach these things and how we choose to think about them. What we can control is how we spend quality time with our families focusing on managing stress, creating memories, and forming healthy habits. We can control living a stress-free life!
Here are 5 ways to live stress-free as a family from the happenings of this year as we prepare to walk into a new year with new opportunities and new perspectives.
- Make Healthy Fun – There are so many ways to make healthy fun. One of my favorite ways to spend time with my family is to get outside. Whether you’re taking advantage of your backyard or socially distanced from others at the park, catch some sunshine and the wind. Raise up those heart rates and some Vitamin D at the same time. Throw the ball around or just simply get silly and run after each other. Pack a healthy lunch or snacks for a family picnic. Your children will enjoy the time spent and your bodies will appreciate it too.
- Maintain Balance – I am the first to admit that my ability to balance things has not been all that great. Working from home has been a challenge for me these past few months. The kids need me to help with school, the clothes that’s been washed for two days still need to be folded and my plants are screaming for water all at the same time. I’m trying to take care of everything and everyone but my laptop and these emails swallow me whole. I’ve learned that even though I have responsibilities at work, I can’t get so lost in it that I forget about my babies and what matters to me. Home. Finding a way to maintain balance is not only healthy for your family but also for you.
- Make Kids Important Contributors – In short, let the kids make some decisions sometimes! Trust me, sometimes their input can be a little out of the box but out of the box is sometimes good. Break the monotony of Taco Tuesdays and pizza nights on Fridays. If you’re not into musicals but that’s what they choose to watch, grit your teeth and compromise. Allow them to choose the activity for the day or have input in the next family getaway. The confidence it builds in our children when we let them know their voice matters will follow them into adulthood.
- Don’t Neglect Adult Time – This is one of those “no caption needed” moments. Do not neglect adult time, please. And since you’re an adult, adult time is also your time. Having some laughs with friends or reading a good book alone is a great way to reset your mind. You and your partner also need some alone time. Even if you have to wait until the kids go to sleep, spend quality time with each other. Getting hugs and kisses, from not only the kids but also your spouse, can help to relieve some stress as well.
- Keep Communication Open – Leave the family door wide open for communication. Letting each other know what’s working for you and what’s not will keep the relationships healthy. Communication is key is not just cliche. It’s a thing!
Take care of each other and yourselves to create the happy, stress-free and happy family that you all deserve to have.