I love so many things about Austin but my all-time favorite is the trees. There are many different types of trees that grow in this area and these living things are beautiful. Unfortunately, the winter storms have not been kind to these beauties. Around Austin and surrounding areas, there’s significant tree damage due to the weight of the ice in addition to the wind and freezing temperatures.
Once the ice has melted and it’s safe to work together, include the whole family in the clean-up activities. Go outside and safely “assess” the area together while allowing the children to give their input in how they believe you should restore the lawn. Please keep them away from large branches that are hanging either from the house or the trees. But give the kids some ownership in restoring their play area by picking up small sticks and leaves. Include them and their ideas and let them know their input matters because this is their yard too!
If you have experienced tree damage, as we have, cleaning up limbs and leaves out of the yard yourself is totally understandable. However, beware of some common clean-up hazards.
- Watch for overhead or nearby electrical wires which may cause potential hazards.
- Chains saws can be extremely dangerous if you aren’t experienced in using them. Please only use a chains saw if you are an experienced operator or consider hiring a professional to do so.
- Watch for slopes and uneven footing surfaces are while operating a chain saw.
- Do not perform the clean-up alone. Always have at least one other person working with you to call for help in case of injury.
If you haven’t experienced any tree damage, please remember that the integrity and stability of trees change over time. Just because a tree may have survived the storms this week, doesn’t necessarily mean it will survive the next storm. Regular maintenance is necessary to ensure the safety of your trees and property.
Here is a list of local tree removal/trimming companies to contact that can assist if you currently need assistance or to utilize for preventative maintenance.
- Monster Tree Service of Austin
- Angel Tree Care Services
- Austex Tree Service
- Hill Country Tree Trimming
- Good Guys Tree Service
- Brents Tree Service
- Sid Mourning Tree Service
- Round Rock Tree Surgeons
- Ramos Tree Services
- Bastrop Landscaping & Tree Service
We hope everyone is safe after last week! Hooray for sunny, warmer weather this week!