Like so many other “Austinites”, my husband and I transplanted here with our tiny-sized family in hopes of capturing some of that hill country goodness in an exchange for “big city” living. Traffic and concrete heat-islands? Um, no thank you.
Photo Credit :: Paramount Theater
Aside from her glorious outdoor life and stunning landscape, Austin wooed us with the ways her people poured into local businesses with a mission of Keeping Austin Weird. While the traffic has grown rather awful and the high-rise cityscape morphs into the familiarities of a bigger city life, Austin has maintained a stronghold in cultivating small business love and the incredible, nonprofit resources that care for our communities. The rippled effect of this pandemic is felt throughout the entire city and it would seem our small businesses and nonprofits have taken some very BIG blows. Now is the time for the Austin community at large to show up for the organizations that give so much to our city on a daily basis.
Thank goodness for Amplify Austin.
The Amplify Austin initiative launched in our city in 2013. Simply put, Amplify Austin Day is our city’s annual day of giving. Launched by an Austin Based Non-profit, I Live Here I Give Here, this event is 24 hours of generosity where our communities celebrate and support 750+ of our Central Texas nonprofits. These organizations continuously provide services and support to our most vulnerable communities FOR FREE. Kept afloat by grants and individual donors, the pandemic and decreased funding has the potential to cripple the resources available for our communities in the years to come as a result.
Now – more than ever – is the time to give if you are able.
Amplify Austin Day 2021 runs Thursday March 4th 2021 at 6pm through Friday, March 5th 2021 at 6pm. Go to their website here and donate to this incredible initiative and help Austin’s nonprofit sector remain strong.
Many of contributing writers on the Austin’s Mom team serve as employees, board members, advocates, or direct, resource recipients of the many the nonprofits participating in Amplify Austin 2021. While ideally, we would love to showcase each of the 750+ organizations, we have highlighted a few that are very near and dear to our hearts.
- *I Live Here I Give Here: With a mission to make Central Texas the most generous community in the country, this organization brings awareness to the causes of over 750 Central Texas nonprofits.
- *Wonders & Worries: founded by Child Life Specialists, this program provides free, professional support for children and teenagers as they navigate the complexities of their caregiver’s chronic illness.
- *Brookwood in Georgetown (BiG): Supporting individuals with special abilities in the Georgetown communities secure housing and employment.
- *Black Mamas ATX: Nonprofit supporting black mamas survive and thrive before, during and after child birth.
- *Mother’s Milk Bank of Austin: providing prescribed, pasteurized donor human milk to premature and medically-fragile infants who otherwise would not survive.
- *Giving Austin Labor Support (GALS): nonprofit that provides emotional and physical support to women during their birth experience.
- *Junior League of Austin’s Signature Programs: an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
- *Hope Austin: Nonprofit focused on supporting children facing food insecurity by providing meals to students who lose their subsidized meals offered during the school week, Hope Austin works to ensure that children have every opportunity to learn and thrive without hunger.
- *Lift Brigade: Founded by a child’s make-a-wish as a nonprofit to support children and their families facing life threatening illnesses. Works in collaboration with area Child Life Programs.
- *AGE of Central Texas: Nonprofit that provides equal support for older adults and their caregivers so that they will continue to thrive and feel the support of community.
- *Central Texas Food Bank: Nonprofit that works with food donors across the country, financial supporters and volunteers to fill unmet needs in Central Texas.
- *YMCA of Central Texas: serving thousands of meals to families in need, providing child care for hundreds of essential workers, and caring for our most vulnerable populations
- *Austin Pets Alive!: Helping people help pets.
- *Girl Start: Inspiring girls to brave, creative and curious with STEM activities.
I encourage you to visit the Austin Amplify Website to learn more about this incredible opportunity to give back. If there is a nonprofit participating in Amplify Austin 2021 that you would love to highlight, please do so in the comments below. In a year of so much hardship, the smallest support can make a huge difference!
Thank you for your generosity!