Happy International Women’s Day!
In the words of the great Beyonce “Who runs the world? Girls!”
While all of March is dedicated to Women’s History Month, March 8th, is International Women’s Day–a day to celebrate social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women all over the world. Celebrate the holiday first and foremost by reaching out directly to the women in your life. Tell them you love them, are grateful for them, and that you see, acknowledge and are proud of their achievements and contributions.
RELATED READING :: International Women’s Day Matters to Every Woman
Next, choose from the list below to celebrate International Women’s Day in some less than traditional ways:
- Patronize a local woman-owned business
- Raise funds for a local women’s charity
- Make it a movie night! Look for a strong female lead
- Listen to these TED talks (focusing on the importance of educating girls)
- Start a book club with a focus on women authors
- Wear purple! Symbolizing justice and dignity, purple is the official color of International Women’s Day
- Involve men and bon-binary people in the celebration and conversation
- Set up a date with a woman in your circle you wish you knew better
- Send a nice email to a female colleague or neighbor
And possibly the most important thing you can do to celebrate International Women’s Day is to look yourself in the mirror.
- List five things you love about yourself (not only physical).
- Identify four things you are grateful for that you created in your own life.
- Acknowledge three things that you have overcome.
- Recognize two other women in your life you admire.
- Proclaim one promise to yourself.
We hope that you celebrate not only the women in your life today, but yourself, mamas. Happy International Women’s Day to our Austin Moms readers, our community and our sisterhood.