Beat the heat and make a splash this hot summer with the coolest pools in Austin.
According to Austin’s official website, the Austin Parks and Recreation Aquatic Division operates 45 public aquatic facilities, which includes seven regional pools, three community pools, 22 neighborhood pools, one wading pool, Barton Springs Pool and 11 splash pads.
However, don’t apply your sunscreen just yet, not all the pools are currently open. We definitely recommend checking the City of Austin website before heading out.
Below is our go to guide for Austin’s coolest (and currently open) pools–public and private. Plus we tried out the new app, Swimply. If you’re looking for a private swim, scroll down to read about our experience.
Year-round Pools Currently Open:
- Springwoods Pool: With a recreational pool, wading pool, shade structures and a
waterslide, Springwoods Pool can help you beat the heat as the temperatures rise. For hours of operation and summer fee information, click here.
- Barton Springs Pool: located within Zilker Park, this natural swimming pool is one of Austin’s top destinations. Open year-round, with an average temperature of 68-70 degrees, it’s a must-go especially during these hot summer months. Click here for more information on purchasing daily and season swim passes as well as pool hours.
- Big Stacy Pool: this free public pool is on the smaller side but still a great place to cool off and do laps. For hours of operation, click here.
- Bartholomew Pool: With a recreational pool, wading pool, activity pool, outdoor shade
structures and water slides, Bartholomew Pool is perfect for the whole family. For hours of operation and summer fee information, click here.
- Deep Eddy Pool: close to downtown, Deep Eddy Pool is spring-fed and is the oldest swimming pool in Texas. It’s not just a place to cool off but to learn about the history of our city. For hours of operation and summer fee information, click here.
Seasonal Pools Currently Open:
Balcones: 12017 Amherst Dr, Austin, TX 78759
Dick Nichols: 8011 Beckett Rd, Austin, TX 78749
Dottie Jordan: 2803 Loyola Ln., Austin, TX 78723
Dove Springs: 5801 Ainez Dr, Austin, TX 78744
Garrison: 6001 Menchaca Rd, Austin, TX 78745
Govalle: 5200 Bolm Rd, Austin, TX 78721
Mabel Davis: 3427 Parker Ln, Austin, TX 78741 (opening July 11)
Martin: 1626 Nash Hernandez Sr. Rd, Austin, TX 78702
Montopolis: 1200 Montopolis Dr, Austin, TX 78741
Northwest: 7000 Ardath St, Austin, TX 78757
Ramsey: 4201 Burnet Rd, Austin, TX. 78756 (opening July 11)
Rosewood: 2300 Rosewood Ave, Austin, TX 78702
Shipe: 4400 Ave G, Austin, TX 78751
Westenfield: 2000 Enfield Rd, Austin, TX 78703
Private Membership Pools Currently Open:
- Jewish Community Center (JCC): The newly designed Rochelle and Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center with the Lisa and Sandy Gottesman Pool is an incredible destination for a family swim. With a lap pool, a kids activity pool, and water slides, there’s something for everyone at the JCC. Membership is required to swim. For more information, click here.
Austin YMCA Pools
- COA/YMCA North Austin Community Rec Center:1000 W Rundberg Ln, Austin, TX 78758. Indoor aquatics center with lap pool, instructional pool and hot tub.
- East Communities YMCA: 5315 Ed Bluestein Blvd, Austin, TX 78723. Outdoor heated lap pool (open year-round). Seasonal interactive playscape pool (open mid-May through September).
- Hays Communities YMCA: 465 Buda Sportsplex Dr, Buda, TX 78610. Natatorium with indoor lap pool and instructional pool. Seasonal outdoor family pool complete with slides and a splash play fountain, shaded area.
- Northwest Family YMCA: 5807 McNeil Dr, Austin, TX 78729. Indoor aquatics center with heated lap pool, instructional pool, hot tub and sauna. Seasonal outdoor family pool complete with slides and splash play fountain.
- Southwest Family YMCA: 6219 Oakclaire Dr, Austin, TX 78735. Zero-entry aquatic playscape and heated lap pool outdoors & indoor pool and hot tub.
- Springs Family YMCA: 27216 Ranch Rd 12, Dripping Springs, TX 78620. Indoor six-lane heated lap pool. Outdoor eight-lane heated pool and seasonal interactive pool.
- Townlake YMCA: 1100 W Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78703. Heated indoor six-lane lap pool and instructional pool.
If you’re looking for a private pool, Swimply is a great option. With an easy reservation system through the app, you can rent a pool by the hour with your family and/or with friends. We took a chance by renting a pool to test out the experience and we definitely recommend it. The app is easy to navigate, the reservation system was user-friendly, and the pool we booked was incredible, clean, and very private. Most pools are kid-friendly (and dog friendly) too, making it one of our go-to activities this summer. Our only advice is to read through the reviews and the pool rules before booking to ensure your experience is a positive one.
Whether you dive in at one of Austin’s coolest public pools or book a private pool, stay cool this summer y’all. It’s hot out there!