Essential oils can be powerful and beneficial for the mind and body when used safely. Beyond smelling great, EO’s can provide a wide array of health benefits. Many research studies have shown that these concentrated plant extracts help by boosting your mood, improving sleep, reducing inflammation and so much more.
RELATED READING :: First Aid Essentials: Build a Hippy(-ish) First Aid Kit
There are many reputable companies out there, and choosing an EO brand can be truly overwhelming. Before choosing which essential oil brand to use, do your research. Make sure it is a quality brand. Read reviews and familiarize yourself by reading labels. In addition to the EO’s quality, you will also want to take into consideration where the ingredients come from (sourcing). The best quality brands use organic sources. Lastly, you will want to consider the pricing of each oil. Purchasing an essential oil brand based on how expensive it is, does not mean it is a higher quality oil brand. In summary, give various brands a try by taking into consideration the quality, sourcing, and price of each essential oil brand.
I have personally been using essential oils for a long time, and have continued to learn best practices to effectively use essential oils in my home. After choosing a quality brand, I recommend familiarizing yourself with using EO’s safely and effectively. A good resource to use is usingeossafely.com. I also recommend getting the “Essential Oils Pocket Reference” by Life Science Publishing, “The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy” by Valerie Ann Worwood and Dr. Axe’s “Essential Oils: Ancient Medicine” books.
Some of my favorite essential oil brands include DoTerra, Young Living, Plant Therapy, and Rocky Mountain Oils. The most common way to use quality essential oils in your home is to diffuse them. I have different types and brands of diffusers in my home. Target has affordable diffuser options that are of great quality. Many essential oil companies offer the option of purchasing starter kits which is a great way to sample the most popular EO’s from each brand. Lemon oil, lavender oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, Thieves and Purification oil blends are my daily go-to essential oils.
You can also use EO’s by directly applying them to your skin by using a carrier oil. Carrier oil options include jojoba oil, argan oil, grape-seed oil, rose-hip oil, almond oil and coconut oil amongst many others. Never apply EO’s directly onto your skin. Using a carrier oil makes for an excellent medium for dilution and application. Carrier oils can also be blended to change or combine the EO’s properties so you can mix and match until you find what works best for you.
Here are some ways I use essential oils safely in my daily life:
- During my children’s bedtime routine I diffuse lavender oil to keep it a calm and comforting environment.
- While doing laundry, I apply a few drops of the Purification oil blend from Young Living on a wool dryer ball to prevent unwanted odors.
- To keep my kitchen sink smelling fresh, I add a few drops of lemon oil to the garbage disposal.
- As a non-toxic insect repellent option, I dilute a few drops of citronella, lemongrass, and rosemary essential oils in a spray bottle or roller bottle.
- For sunburns and as a face toner, I make a rose water spray by diluting a few drops of rose oil and combining it with water in a spray bottle.
- To keep my car smelling fresh, I use a car vent diffuser and apply a few drops of the EO of my choice.
- To clean my kitchen and bathrooms, I make an antibacterial and antiviral spray bottle solution by using a few drops of the Thieves essential oil blend and water.