Since 2004, National Dog Day has grown as a celebration of our faithful furry friends! Are you looking to do something a little more extra for your pooch besides a facebook collage of their cuteness? If so, here’s a list of ways you can pamper your pup:
1. Make a frozen treat for your dog. Use an ice cube tray to freeze pet safe ingredients for a great way to beat the heat and promote play time for your pet. Some options are Pureed Pumpkin, -Unsweetened Apple Sauce, Peanut Butter, or Goat Milk. Just make sure there is no sugar substitutes, Birch Sugar or Xylitol in the ingredients.
2. Visit your local dog park like the Round Rock Dog Depot with a water tower tank and agility obstacles or the Dog House Drinkery which serves beer and wine while you socialize with fellow dog owners. You can find a full map of off leash parks on the Visit Austin page. Be one of the first 20 dogs to Steeplechase dog park from 5-7pm to score a free treat goodie bag for your bestie.
3. Want to go out to dinner with your pup, or maybe grab a cold one? Check out the Dog Menu at Blue Lacy in Mueller. The Bowser Beer is a carbonated bone broth to get your pup’s tail wagging.
4. Attend Pinthouse Brewery’s National Dog Day Celebration. They’ll have a puppy photo booth, available rescues, vendors, doggo merchandise and a trio of hot dogs on the menu.
5. Check out Blue Owl Brewing’s “Dog Days of Summer Happy Hour” from 5-7pm. Discounted merchandise, a raffle for pet-worthy prizes and a Summer vacation themed photo booth for your pup.
6. Puppochinos anyone? Letting your pooch indulge in a small cup of whipped cream as an occasional treat is perfectly fine for them, provided your pup doesn’t have a lactose sensitivity. Grab a latte and take a stroll with your pup to enjoy August’s “sweat”er weather and pretend together like fall is coming our way anytime soon.
7. Are you looking to Party with your pooches? This parking lot is where it’s at! Check out Bee Cave Orthodontics’ National Dog Day Park! They’ll have music, snacks, drinks, corn hole, prize wheel, face painting and lots of local dog business. There will be adoptable furry friends at the event and a photo contest. 11412 Bee Cave Rd #300, Austin, TX 78738
8. Is your pup a baseball fan? Pick up tickets for a Dell Diamond Pints and Pups night. All Thursday home games are dog friendly. These games include September 1st against the Oklahoma City Dodgers and September 8th against the Sugarland Space cowboys.
9. You could celebrate by adopting a sibling for your pup, fostering, or volunteering your time to walk dogs. Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter is currently at Critical: Dangerously Full
10. Make A Snuggle Mat toy for your pup or make one for a shelter pet. Click here for instructions.