This Mother’s Day weekend my Mom, who’s lived with us since 2017, will celebrate her 80th birthday. I am so excited to mark this milestone year with my Mother here in the live music capital of the world. Although Mom is not physically able to get out and enjoy live bands these days, we still plan to have music as part of the celebration–with a Mother’s Day playlist.
I grew up hearing my Mother sing songs at our family’s daycare. She used music to teach children everything from ABCs and 123s to using their manners. She even joined my Father singing songs in our church choir. Some of my favorite memories are riding in my Mom’s Chevrolet Chevette listening to The Gap Band or Patti Labelle and Michael Bolton on my way to dance class.
RELATED READING :: 10 Songs To Add To Your Father’s Day Playlist
Today, my children and I also bond over music. You can find us in the kitchen cooking while listening to The Isley Brothers and Esperanza Spalding or on our way to school listening to Kids Bop or our weekly motivational anthem by NAS.
As we prepare to honor my Mother this weekend, “Team Mays” has curated these 15 songs to add to your Mother’s Day playlist.
Mama Said by The Shirelles
2. I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack
3. A Song for Mama by Boyz II Men
4. Dear Mama by Tupac
5. The Best Day by Taylor Swift
6. Sadie by The Spinners
7. Coat of Many Colors by Dolly Parton
8. Superwoman by Alicia Keys
9. Mama’s Song by Carrie Underwood
10. Because You Loved Me by Céline Dion
11. Mama Said Knock You Out by LL Cool J
12. The Perfect Fan by the Backstreet Boys
13. You Are the Sunshine of My Life by Stevie Wonder
14. Her by Anne-Marie
15. Mom by Earth, Wind & Fire